Stereo vs surround for gaming, which one is the best headphone for you?
If you’re a passionate gamer, getting the perfect sound system is unquestionably a top priority.
To get the most out of your games, you need an immersive gaming experience.
To do so, you’ll need to understand how stereo and surround sound work and how they differ.
We’ll discuss surround sound headphones vs. stereo headphones for gaming…
…as well as stereo vs. surround sound in general.
Surround sound is superior than stereo sound for gaming in general because surround sound…
…can create 360-degree sound effects, resulting in a more immersive gaming experience.
Surround sound, on the other hand, is more expensive than stereo.
Before we continue talking about this topic…
This is what Nic said…
Most people, I believe, utilize Stereo, and some individuals prefer to use HRTF while others do not.
Stereo is something I utilize with the feature turned on.
It all relies on how you’re used to hearing things and how you hear things around you.
Certain settings should not be used simply because they are used by others.
It’s the same as if you’re used to playing your game extended at 4:3.
I tried it, but it didn’t work for me. Simply try a few things to determine what works best for you.
Surround sound formats vary in reproduction and recording methods, along with the number and positioning of additional channels. The most common surround sound specification, the ITU’s 5.1 standard, calls for 6 speakers: Center (C), in front of the listener; Left (L) and Right (R), at angles of 60°; Left Surround (LS) and Right Surround (RS) at angles of 100–120°; and a subwoofer, whose position is not critical.
Surround Sound according to Wikipedia
Our Top Picks on Work Rift
EKSA E1000 Gaming Headset 7.1 Surround Sound Wired
- 50MM Driver Delivers Surround Sound: Wearing a professional gaming headset is important whether you’re playing God of War, Fortnite, PUBG, or CS:GO. EKSA E1000 headset offers incredible surround sound for both music and games thanks to its 50mm driver.
- Noise Cancelling Microphone: You can chat with your friends with crystal clarity with this PS4 headset’s high-end noise cancellation. By flipping the switch, you can turn off the mic so that you can enjoy your me-time without communicating with other players.
- RGB Colorful LED Light: Plugging in the usb to your PS4/Computer/notebook/laptop will cause the rgb light to flash constantly, giving you a gaming atmosphere.
- 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound: The headset can be equipped with a chip that can optimize chat sound and background sound while playing games with others
- Super Compatibility: work with WIN7/8/10, PS4 console etc, with USB plug, you can use it in anytime anythere.
Havit Professional Gaming Headset Wired RGB Light HD
- Unique gaming headset RGB light: The gaming headset has a fascinating RGB light effect to highlight the gaming atmosphere. It can give you a better gaming experience even in the dark and create a cool gaming environment.
- Clear 3D Surround Sound: Two large 50mm speakers pump out powerful sound. The virtual surround sound technology provides you with a higher level of audio precision, ensuring that you won’t miss any sound during fast-paced games.
360° Adjustable Microphone: With the built-in microphone, you can conveniently control the volume in games or online videos. You can adjust the angle of the microphone according to your needs. (Note that the ear cups have a microphone mute button.)
- More comfortable to use: The soft fabric earpads and memory foam, which provide exceptional comfort, are made of breathable material. A length-adjustable headband ensures a comfortable fit and great sound quality.
- Easy to use: Plug and play, no driver required. The USB 3.5mm wired gaming headset is compatible with Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, PS5, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PC, Game console, and so on. It is the best choice for games, online learning, and gifts.
SOMIC Gaming Headset with Mic G951S Purple Stereo
- High Quality Performance: Built-in 40 mm high fidelity speakers, capable of producing rich sound quality, vivid sound field, high sound clarity, and a pleasing sound shock. The high level of hardware configuration provides an excellent gaming experience and immersive video experience, allowing a variety of games to be played.
- Ambient Noise Cancelling: You can enjoy your game or video with these large-size earmuffs that provide outstanding passive noise-reduction.
- Strong Compatible: It is compatible with Xbox one, Nintendo switch, PlayStation 4, computer, laptop, iPad, and iPhone.
- Ergonomic Design: An omnidirectional microphone can bend 360° and be sensitive enough to pick up the sound clearly. The headband adjusts to fit your head. Protein leather ear cushions are ultra-soft and skin-friendly. And the lightweight design makes them comfortable to wear for a long time.
- Special Appearance: With its purple outlook and detachable cat ear shape, it is a great gift for girlfriends, women, and children. Please understand that the real color of the item may differ slightly from the pictures shown on the website due to many factors, such as the brightness of your monitor and the brightness of the light source.
Stereo vs Surround for Gaming Headphones
You can get standard stereo headphones, virtual surround headphones (5.1 or 7.1)…
…or genuine surround sound with gaming headphones.
The majority of gaming headphones are standard stereo headphones that provide…
…adequate sound quality but lack the immersive surround sound experience.
Virtual surround headphones are stereo headphones with unique effects that produce a stereo effect.
True surround sound headphones are fantastic for generating an immersive surround sound…
…gaming experience (especially FPS games). They are, however, pricey.
If you have the budget, acquire a surround headphone if it will only be used for gaming, movies, or 5.1 music.
If you’re on a budget and want to use your headphones for gaming and ordinary stereo music…
…acquire a pair of stereo headphones.
Stereo vs. Surround – How Audio Setups Work
Let’s look at how stereo and surround sound systems alter, segment…
…and distribute sound to figure out which of these audio settings is best for gaming.
How Stereo Works
Sound is produced by two speakers (or two channels) in stereo.
If you’ve ever attended a concert, you’ve probably noticed the massive speakers on the stage’s left and right sides.
This is how stereo works to make it appear as if the music is coming from both sides.
Your subwoofer can be used to enhance the sound.
Stereo sound is used by boom boxes, PCs, portable CD and DVD players…
…headphones, earbuds, and other MP3 devices, making it the most popular alternative.
As a result, stereo sound is popular, and it often employs two front speakers…
…to create a performance platform in front of the audience.
How Surround Sound Works
The sound produced by surround sound is typically produced by five or more speakers.
It’s made to produce a soundscape that’s all-encompassing.
The right, left, and center speakers are in front of you in 5.1 surround.
On the left and right sides of your listening area, you have two surround speakers.
In addition to the five front borders, there are two back surrounds in 7.1.
If you’re utilizing a 9.1 surround system, you can have two more above you…
…or significantly less if you’re using the less popular 3.1 installations.
As a result, surround gives consumers a 360-degree cinematic experience…
…which is necessary when you want to feel like you’re a part of a live event or game.
Is stereo or Surround Sound Better For Gaming?
It’s understandable that you’d have this curiosity after experiencing how stereo and surround sound function.
When it comes to video games, there’s no denying that you enjoy a 360-degree cinematic experience.
You want to be completely immersed in the action. Surround sound is superior for gaming, so the answer is yes.
It’s like comparing standard office chairs to gaming chairs when it comes to stereo and surround sound.
Both are capable of completing the task, but one is superior!
Keep in mind that most video game soundtracks are now recorded with surround sound in mind.
What about a stereo system? Overall, it’s the greatest for music listening.
Music does not usually require directional sound and is frequently recorded in stereo for playback.
What are the Differences between Surround and Stereo for Gaming Speakers?
For gaming, here’s a full breakdown of the differences between stereo and surround sound:
The most noticeable difference is the amount of speakers used by each system.
Two speakers are used in stereo. One is on the right, while the other is on the left.
At least three speakers are used in surround sound.
Stereo sound just has two speakers, thus it can’t provide the same level of immersion as surround sound.
5-1 surrounds and higher variants produce sound that can completely fill a listening or viewing room.
Subwoofers are found in both surround and stereo systems.
Subwoofers aren’t often included with stereos. As a result, they can create sound that isn’t as exciting as booming bass.
There are certain exceptions to the above-mentioned general guidelines.
So, before you choose your audio system, it’s great if you think about a few key factors.
You already know that surround sound is frequently the finest for gaming…
…but keep in mind that your needs and budget are also vital factors to consider.
Don’t waste your money on a sound system that will eventually collect dust.
You may now begin window shopping to discover what your greatest selections are on the market.
And, that is all for how to choose between stereo vs surround sound for gaming.
How do you choose your headphone for gaming?
Let us know your experience on the comment section!
Related Articles For You!
- You may like: The 6 Best Gaming Accessories to Have an Excellent Gaming Experience!
- You may enjoy this article about: Best Inexpensive Headsets for Gaming – 3 Top Pick on Work Rift!
- This article may be interesting: Review of the Kotion G2100 – Amazing Gaming Headset You Must Have!
Our Latest Posts: