If you are a serious gamer, you need a headset that will deliver quality sound.
However, how to choose the best gaming headset?
A model that produces top-notch well-equalized sound and has a lot of convenient features is what you need.
Many different gaming headsets have been introduced since the first headsets were launched…
…all of which have their own bells and whistles (e.g. wireless, detachable mics, etc.).
These headsets are designed to provide comfort and clear sound without the hassle, so we can just concentrate on playing.
What criteria did you use when choosing your ‘best’ gaming headset?
Were there any recommendations from knowledgeable friends or reputable websites?
Most of you probably had your own criteria when searching for a good headset.
In my opinion, it provided decent sound quality, over ear comfort, and wired connections.
In choosing the best gaming headset, there are some vital factors to look out for that can guide you to the right choice.
The following are the top factors you should keep in mind as you shop for your new headset.
Here are a few words from Yoona, before we move on to next section…
So far, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with my experience…
…with this pair of headphone for about 2 months.
Because I’m an audiophile rather than a gamer…
…I was expecting average audio quality…
…since these are on the lower end of the price range.
However, they do hold their own against better ones!
Let’s jump right in!
How to Choose the Best Gaming Headset
If you want to buy a headset, the first thing you need to consider is the platform you will be playing on.
Or, what console or PC system are you planning to buy the headset for.
Xbox One, Mac, PC, and PlayStation 4 are among the most common platforms.
Compatibility is always key.
Platforms determine the type of headset you will be using…
…and not all headsets are compatible with all consoles.
Look at the connector type. Does it support USB or is it just a 3.5 mm audio connector?
Most USB headsets will work with consoles, but many 3.5 mm connectors won’t.
Everything works on PC (because they’re awesome).
One of the most important features to consider is this.
For the best headphones, high-quality sound is a must-have feature.
When you hear gunshots, footsteps, and any other action sounds, competitive gaming is always more enjoyable.
A typical speaker set would not be able to produce 7.1 virtual surround sound.
When you can test out your models (e.g. Walmart has headsets on display to try before purchasing)…
…and most local shops permit you to do so to confirm sound quality…
…it’s pretty satisfying to know what you’re buying is actually worth the investment.
Online, you can also compare and review more detailed product specifications.
In contrast, online purchases limit your ability to read other customers’ reviews…
…(even though they may be valuable).
The comfort of a gaming headset depends on how long you plan to wear it (8 hours, right?).
These headphones are more comfortable than others…
…because they have well-balanced sounds and soft, yet holding, over-the-ear cups.
When you’re like me and play for hours on end…
…the last thing you want is an uncomfortable headset on your head as a distraction.
For the best gaming headphones, if they are intrusive or hurt your ears, then you have a bad pair.
If possible, they should be lightweight and comfortable.
For four, six, or more hours of gaming, you do not want a heavy anvil resting on your head.
The size and sound quality matter, but so does your comfort.
“If you feel squeezed up wearing your headset, then you are sure to be disturbed when playing. So choose a headset that is comfortable enough and will let you play for long hours.”
Raj Paritosh – Author at Top10gears.com
You probably need a headset with a solid microphone…
…if you play mostly multiplayer, team-based games, or if you’re a fan of Battle Royale games.
The majority of current gaming models come with decent microphones, not the best…
…but they’ll do the job when the going gets tough.
If you look for a mouse that has noise cancellation technology…
…then your friends will only hear you and not your cat, Mr. Fiddlesticks, trying to get your attention.
The majority of good headsets come with software or are designed…
…in a way that allows you to turn the mic on and off.
The mic automatically switches off when the boom arm of the mic is lifted to a vertical position.
When you don’t need chat or if it gets in the way of some single-player mayhem, you can disable it.
Mics are also useful for other things besides gaming.
If you do long distance Skype calls or want to start a podcast about a guy and his cat, a mic will help you.
In addition to having a sleek and ergonomic design, your ideal gaming headset must be extremely durable.
A good investment is one that will last the test of time.
That’s why you want to make sure you’re investing in something of importance.
High-quality headsets tend to be made from stronger materials such as steel and aluminum…
…high-quality plastic for the structure, and leather for the covering, especially the ear cups.
Headsets made with quality materials tend to last much longer and can withstand beatings.
Look for reviews that mention durability, what materials are the headsets made of…
..did they break soon after purchase or did they last a long time?
My experience has taught me that poorly constructed audio boxes tend to get stepped on…
…the leather straps over the cranium snap, and sometimes the mic breaks off.
Long-term, buying a headset with high durability today will save you…
…from having to buy another one in the near future.
Open or Closed
Using an open headset allows you to hear sounds around you…
…which might prove beneficial if you don’t play anything too competitive…
…or if you want to listen to other sounds while playing (e.g. music from Netflix).
Conversely, closed headsets are better for competitive games (such as Fortnite or PUBG)…
…and allow you to focus on the action.
Closed headsets have the best noise cancellation features…
…and do an amazing job of blocking out all the surrounding sounds.
Wired or Wireless
You can choose between a wired or a wireless headset based on the setup of your gaming room.
In order to connect a wired headset, you will have to work with a variety of cables and ports.
Cables can get damaged, audio boxes can be tripped over…
…and there is a lot more clutter in your room, with wires crisscrossing everywhere.
If you use wired headphones, the cable will only be so long, and this may limit where you can sit while playing.
On the other hand, wireless headsets are quite efficient.
No extra cutter or cable length is needed, so you can use them wherever you like.
Wireless headsets require a network connection, and you should charge them every day.
If the headset has a cradle, this makes it super convenient to put it on when you are done using it.
You should pay attention to reviews to see if sound quality loss is often mentioned over a wireless connection.
Most headsets have great battery life, great sound, and they’re reliable for a long time.
For any product purchase, budget is the primary concern.
Many brands offer headphones at different price points.
You can get a good deal on a tight budget. But this rarely happens.
You can get good sound mixing and audio clarity even on a tight budget.
New sound technology, however, comes at a high price.
Most cheap headphones do not have noise-isolating mechanisms.
You can also damage your ear and hearing if you use it for too long.
Before you bargain with yourself for a budget, remember these few points.
Last but not least…
It is the last factor to consider when selecting your gaming headset in our list.
Some gaming headsets come with software included…
…but many people use only the default settings and may not even notice or utilize it.
You can tweak and improve your audio experience with the software.
It has different settings such as bass adjustment, sound profile, RGB adjustment, etc.
Third-party software is also available to enhance your audio experience.
These are particularly useful for low-budget headphones.
The sound quality is still good.
The addition of third-party software can make a huge difference to an old pair of gaming headsets.
Audio calibration is offered in this software. There is a noticeable improvement in bass response.
It also improves the clarity of sound. Sonarworks True-Fi is the best software for headphones.
There is a lot of value in the software bundle.
Don’t waste money on the software suite if you aren’t planning on using it.
Choose a headset without a software bundle.
Our Top Picks on Work Rift
EKSA E1000 Gaming Headset 7.1 Surround Sound Wired
- 50MM Driver Delivers Surround Sound: Wearing a professional gaming headset is important whether you’re playing God of War, Fortnite, PUBG, or CS:GO. EKSA E1000 headset offers incredible surround sound for both music and games thanks to its 50mm driver.
- Noise Cancelling Microphone: You can chat with your friends with crystal clarity with this PS4 headset’s high-end noise cancellation. By flipping the switch, you can turn off the mic so that you can enjoy your me-time without communicating with other players.
- RGB Colorful LED Light: Plugging in the usb to your PS4/Computer/notebook/laptop will cause the rgb light to flash constantly, giving you a gaming atmosphere.
- 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound: The headset can be equipped with a chip that can optimize chat sound and background sound while playing games with others
- Super Compatibility: work with WIN7/8/10, PS4 console etc, with USB plug, you can use it in anytime anythere.
Havit Professional Gaming Headset Wired RGB Light HD
- Unique gaming headset RGB light: The gaming headset has a fascinating RGB light effect to highlight the gaming atmosphere. It can give you a better gaming experience even in the dark and create a cool gaming environment.
- Clear 3D Surround Sound: Two large 50mm speakers pump out powerful sound. The virtual surround sound technology provides you with a higher level of audio precision, ensuring that you won’t miss any sound during fast-paced games.
360° Adjustable Microphone: With the built-in microphone, you can conveniently control the volume in games or online videos. You can adjust the angle of the microphone according to your needs. (Note that the ear cups have a microphone mute button.)
- More comfortable to use: The soft fabric earpads and memory foam, which provide exceptional comfort, are made of breathable material. A length-adjustable headband ensures a comfortable fit and great sound quality.
- Easy to use: Plug and play, no driver required. The USB 3.5mm wired gaming headset is compatible with Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, PS5, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PC, Game console, and so on. It is the best choice for games, online learning, and gifts.
SOMIC Gaming Headset with Mic G951S Purple Stereo
- High Quality Performance: Built-in 40 mm high fidelity speakers, capable of producing rich sound quality, vivid sound field, high sound clarity, and a pleasing sound shock. The high level of hardware configuration provides an excellent gaming experience and immersive video experience, allowing a variety of games to be played.
- Ambient Noise Cancelling: You can enjoy your game or video with these large-size earmuffs that provide outstanding passive noise-reduction.
- Strong Compatible: It is compatible with Xbox one, Nintendo switch, PlayStation 4, computer, laptop, iPad, and iPhone.
- Ergonomic Design: An omnidirectional microphone can bend 360° and be sensitive enough to pick up the sound clearly. The headband adjusts to fit your head. Protein leather ear cushions are ultra-soft and skin-friendly. And the lightweight design makes them comfortable to wear for a long time.
- Special Appearance: With its purple outlook and detachable cat ear shape, it is a great gift for girlfriends, women, and children. Please understand that the real color of the item may differ slightly from the pictures shown on the website due to many factors, such as the brightness of your monitor and the brightness of the light source.
A high-performance headset is the only way to fully enjoy gaming.
There are a variety of headset models and brands…
…and your choice will depend on some of the factors we mentioned…
…such as which platform you use, sound quality, comfortable fit…
…best microphone, good durability, is the headset open or closed, or is it wired or wireless?
While all these factors should be considered in the buying process of a great gaming headset…
…in reality it all comes down to personal preference.
Which headset makes you feel comfortable, which one makes you feel like you’re getting your game on…
…and which one doesn’t interfere with your gaming experience?
Be prudent, do some research (e.g. read reviews, watch YouTube analysis videos)…
…and perhaps just maybe you’ll find the best gaming headset for you.
You know how important your game is to you. It is imperative…
…that a quality headset be used as a 100% gaming tool, not just as an accessory.
A good microphone and sound system will give your gaming experience a whole new feel.
We hope this article helped you learn more about how to choose a headset for your gaming sessions.
Bring your gaming reflexes to the next level and defeat your rivals!
We welcome your comments in the comments section below…
…if you think we left anything out or made any mistakes in the buying guide.