Your keyboard is a mechanical device that is designed to connect your computer to your PC. But are keyboard keys removable? In this blog, we also have an article about the reasons for tall keys on gaming keyboard that you might want to read about it.
A computer keyboard is a peripheral input device modeled after the typewriter keyboard which uses an arrangement of buttons or keys to act as mechanical levers or electronic switches.
Are keyboard keys removable
Yes membrane keyboard and mechanical keyboard key’s can be remove! But It will have some effort to removing membrane keyboard keys.
Disassembly of Membrane Keyboard
The following methods will assist you in removing the keys from your membrane keyboard:
- Unplug your keyboard and store it in a secure location to avoid losing any keys or screws.
- Invert the keyboard.
- Remove the screws at the back of your keyboard using the proper screwdriver.
- After removing all screws, you should be able to divide your keyboard into two parts. If not, all you need to do is delicately open your keyboard with a wedge.
- When you hear a snap, this indicates that the door has been opened.
- Separate the top and bottom. Set aside the bottom section; you will not use it throughout the operation. Additionally, you should use extreme caution while touching it, since it includes delicate electronics. Improper handling may result in damage.
- Take a photograph of the keyboard before removing the keycaps. This will come in handy when it comes time to relocating the keys to their right location.
- Invert the top section to release the keycaps.
- Push and loosen the foot of each keycap using the top of the slotted screwdriver. Avoid excessive pressure, as they can easily pop out.
- It is preferable to leave the enter key alone owing to its difficulty of use.
- After removing all keycaps, you’ll see the dust and filth. You may now begin cleaning.
Disassembly of Mechanical Keyboard Keys
To clean or replace the keycaps on your mechanical keyboard, you’ll need a keycap remover. Some manufacturers include one with their keyboards, while others do not. You may, however, purchase a keycap puller online, and select between a plastic or a wire remover.
The keycap puller is a tool that wraps around a keycap and allows you to remove the caps without damaging them or the switches to which they are connected. After obtaining the tool and clearing the workspace, you may begin removing the keycaps from your mechanical keyboard.
- Take the keycap extractor.
- Place the puller’s edges under the keycap you intend to remove.
- Remove the keycap from the switch by pulling up on the puller.
- While your keyboard has an LED backlight, you must exercise extreme caution when removing keycaps.
- If you must connect and switch on the input device while removing keycaps, the lights may irritate your eyes; thus, you must turn off and disconnect the device.
- As you remove the keycaps, ensure that you store them in a readily accessible and orderly location. That way, reassembling them will be a breeze.
- Remove larger keys with caution, since they may contain a metal support bar that may break during the procedure.
- Remove all keycaps slowly and carefully to avoid damaging any component of the keyboard.
The keyboard is the piece of computer hardware used to input text, characters, and other commands into a computer or similar device.”Tim Fisher, author from lifewire.com
What is mechanical keyboard?
Mechanical keyboards are a type of keyboard that is built with mechanical switches. Mechanical keyboards have been around for a long time, but it was in the mid-2000s that they became more popular. They are generally considered to be more durable than their rubber dome and membrane keyboard counterparts. Mechanical keyboards are also considered to be more comfortable to use than rubber dome or membrane keyboards. They can also be used on laptops and computers.
The main reason why people buy mechanical keyboards is because they are aware of the fact that these are built with some sturdy parts. This means that when you press hard on the keyboard’s keycaps, there will not be any squeaking noises coming from them. In addition to this, mechanical keyboards usually come with longer life span. However, despite all these advantages, mechanical keyboards are usually more expensive compared to other types of keyboards.
What is membrane keyboard?
Membrane keyboards were first invented many years ago. These days, membrane keyboards are still being sold, especially among teenagers. Membrane keyboards are less expensive compared to mechanical keyboards. This is because they are made using cheaper materials such as silicone and plastic. Despite this, membrane keyboards lack durability. There are also times when users complain about issues regarding the malfunctioning of certain buttons.